- Here's an Idea for the Semester Break: Promote You!
Here's an Idea for the Semester Break: Promote You!
For those of us on a semester schedule, the Fall semester is coming to a close, and it has been no small accomplishment to see it through. You may not want to even think about next semester yet, but consider easing into it by spending some time on Prof2Prof developing your own professional profile and sharing your accomplishments. Here are a few things you can do with the platform, which I hope you will check out as you inch toward next semester:
· Promote your work, and your professional self. As faculty, instructors, researchers, student affairs professionals, and administrators, we create a wide range of intellectual products. Use Prof2Prof to showcase those things you do that don’t always get noticed on your CV. Reports, working papers, survey instruments, administrative policies—pretty much anything you can think of that you create and are willing to share in order to generate a broader impact. As a first step, join Prof2Prof.com and complete your profile. You can also promote your speaking topics, consulting services, and other forms of professional expertise using the Professional Expertise portion of your profile.
· Embrace teaching as a form of scholarship. As educators, we use our disciplinary expertise to create effective tools for the classroom (e.g., syllabi, assignments, exercises, case studies, lecture slides, and much more). Share these items on Prof2Prof, as well as discover new ideas. The more we share their innovative resources, the more we can learn from each other and enhance the quality of our courses and programs. What worked well for you in Fall semester?
· Give your network a home base. Prof2Prof can host your academic networks, providing you with a home page for the network and the ability to promote news, events, and resources. Campus centers, institutes, and departments can use this option to promote networking, as well as inter-disciplinary and cross-institutional networks of educators and researchers with common interests. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a network page.
· Create a space for a working group or team. Developing a grant proposal? Building a new course or program with colleagues? Mentoring a group of students? The workspace function enables both private and open-site spaces for accomplishing such tasks. Workspaces are a combination of discussion threads and resources, organized and searchable.
· Create a professional blog. With our newest release, Prof2Prof offers a home for your academic blog. Write about your research and teaching experiences, administrative roles and student support endeavors. Help paint a more realistic picture of life in academia, and share these experiences to help others navigate this career.
· And remember, it’s all free. If you are employed by a university or college or are a doctoral student or emeritus faculty member, Prof2Prof is free to join. What’s more to love?
Join the higher ed ecosystem that has members from 53 countries and counting, and from a broad range of disciplines and academic job titles. Help make the site the go-to place for learning from each other, and getting recognized for the full scope of the work that you do.